The Virtual Terminal order process is very similar to an ecommerce order process flow, but the Virtual Terminal relies on operational processes rather than a technical integration.
When a customer initiates their order with a merchant over the phone the merchant will manually create their order in an order management system. Then the merchant will generate an Affirm checkout for the customer any they will go through the identical checkout flow. Finally the merchant will capture the charge in Affirm’s Virtual Terminal, and update their order management system as “paid with Affirm”.
The steps below detail the processing steps for merchant sales team when using Affirm's Virtual Terminal.
- Merchant processes order in their order management system (OMS).
- Merchant sends Affirm checkout link to customer using the Virtual Terminal.
- Customer completes Affirm application and confirms loan terms.
- Merchant communicates order status and next steps to customer.
- Merchant captures charge to receive payment from Affirm. (recommended: capture at shipment)
- Merchant marks ‘Paid with Affirm’ in their order management system.
- Affirm submits payment for merchant the following day. (bank settlement 2–3 business days)
- Customer pays off their loan with Affirm.